Performance management is a continuous cycle that ensures fairness and measures the effectiveness and contribution of employees. It shouldn’t be a stressful “once a year” experience, but instead, a regular two-way dialogue that can identify potential issues or problems. When performance management works well, employees are more likely to be engaged and perform better.
At Clever HR we want to work with businesses to make the Performance management process simple and easy to implement.
Steps to conducting an effective performance appraisal:
- Firstly, always aim for open communication all year round – don’t wait to the appraisal to give negative feedback – it’s easier to manage poor performance when it happens
- Preparation by both parties is key – be ready to attend the meeting to discuss what went well, what could be improved and examples of each, objectives moving forward and the way this is going to achieved
- Employee should begin the performance discussion having air time for about 70%
- Manager to then focus on the positives first and any areas to improve upon. The discussion should inspire people to want to improve, develop and take initiative.
- Be mindful about how you give feedback – anticipate emotions, be specific, discuss the impact, offer
- Suggested constructive feedback could include quick win ideas, positive persuasion and showing examples of others succeeding in this area
- Don’t focus on “one offs” – but patterns of behaviour
- Explore differences to reach agreement or sometimes agree to disagree
- Use appraisal forms (Clever HR can provide these) to capture discussion and agreed actions
- Follow up development action items against agreed timescales
- Finally focus on future development to support the employee’s ongoing career aspirations and ensure job satisfaction
How we can help and support You
- Practical and professional advice to support you throughout the performance management process
- Legally compliant documentation including all appraisal forms and development plan templates
- Develop a robust competency framework
- Deliver workshops on how to conduct and implement effective performance management